These days, many people are forced to work from home due to the Covid-19 outbreak. Working in your own home can be a bit challenging if you do not have a good working space.
To minimize the challenge, you must have a good computer desk. You don’t need to buy a new one to have it. Instead, you can create a DIY computer desk on your own.
Creating your own computer desk may give you some advantages. One of them is that it allows you to cut your budget on a computer desk.
In addition, you will be able to create a desk that can match your working habits and working needs. Most importantly, you can have a computer desk that is suitable to the size and style of your interior.
- Pallet DIY Computer Desk
- Gold Leaf DIY Computer Desk
- Easy-to-Make DIY Computer Desk
- Simple L-Shape DIY Computer Desk
- Two Bookshelves DIY Computer Desk
- Built in Wood Pallet DIY Computer Desk
- Farmhouse DIY Computer Desk
- Standing DIY Computer Desk
- Piping and Butcher Block DIY Computer Desk
- Tower DIY Computer Desk
- Double-Sided DIY Computer Desk
- Murphy DIY Computer Desk
- Floating DIY Computer Desk with Chain
- X-Legged DIY Computer Desk
- Copper DIY Computer Desk with a Fix Bench
- Ergonomic DIY Computer Desk
- Adjustable DIY Computer Desk
Pallet DIY Computer Desk
This pallet computer desk is unique and simple. It is perfect for you who want to add a rustic element in your working space. In addition, it can minimize clutter in your home office because it has a large storage under the desk.
To create this computer desk, you need 1 wood pallet, floor boards, 5mm thick plywood, and 4 Vika Curry Legs. After that, you must:
- Arrange the Vika Curry Legs in rectangle, as big as the pallet.
- Cut the plywood as big as the pallet.
- Nail three floorboards under the plywood, two on the sides and one in the middle.
- Attach this simple construction on the wood pallet.
- Screw the tabletop to the legs and you have a new computer desk.
Gold Leaf DIY Computer Desk
This DIY computer desk idea is perfect for you who want an elegant desk. Having this desk in your home office will make the office more luxurious.
To make this computer desk, you need gold leaf, a desk with glass top, clear acrylic spray, painter’s tape, and adhesive size.
- Remove the glass top from the desk.
- Line the edges of the desk tray using painter’s tape.
- After that, use a foam brush to apply the adhesive size on the tray.
- Wait for 15 minutes for the adhesive to dry.
- Press the gold leaf on the adhesive-covered tray.
- Make sure that the gold leaf covers the whole tray surface.
- Coat the gold leaf tray with clear acrylic spray. Repeat it once more.
- Remove the painter’s tape.
- Put the glass top back on the desk and you have an elegant and luxurious computer desk.
Easy-to-Make DIY Computer Desk
If you don’t have much time to make a computer desk, you can opt for this desk idea. It is very simple and easy to make. In addition, this desk is perfect for a small home office.
Before you make it, you must have a pine desktop, four LC58-6-Swivel Flanges, screws and washers, two size 6-aluminum SCH.40 pipes.
The length of the pipe is the length of the angle from the wall to the desktop minus 15 cm. In addition, you need a brace to support the table. To make this desk, you can follow these steps.
- Attach the brace and two swivel flanges on the wall
- Attach the other two swivel flanges on the underside of the desktop.
- Connect the swivel flanges on the wall and desktop with the pipe and you have a minimalist computer desk.
Simple L-Shape DIY Computer Desk
This is another simple computer desk idea for your home office. It offers you with more space and at the same time doesn’t make your interior look cramped.
Things you need to make this desk are a 2 desktops, 1.25-inch screws, 3×3 poplar posts, and poplar 1x3s. Once you get everything you need, you can follow these steps.
- Plan and measure the dimension of the desk so that it fits your interior.
- Cut the post and wood based on your measurement.
- Create four frames of desk legs. Each frame is made of two poplar posts and 2 poplar 1x3s.
- Screw two of these frames together so that they form an L-shape for the middle legs.
- Arrange all the legs in L-shape according to the size of the desktops.
- Attach the desktops on the frame.
- To make it more attractive, you can paint the desk in your favorite color.
Two Bookshelves DIY Computer Desk
If you want to make a computer desk with more storage space, you can pick this computer desk idea. It is made of two bookshelves that are connected by a desktop.
If you have this desk, your home office will be more organized. Before you start this project, you need two bookshelves in different height, a desktop, and screws.
- Place the bookshelves so that they face each other.
- Make sure that you space them properly, in accordance to the length of the desktop.
- Screw the desktop on the top of one shelve and on the second shelve of the other.
- Paint the new computer desk in white or other colors that match your interior.
Built in Wood Pallet DIY Computer Desk
This is another pallet computer desk that you can make on your own. It is also affordable and unique. In order to make this desk, you must have a wooden pallet, two pairs of window hooks, desktop, and screws.
You don’t need advanced wood working skill to make this desk.
- Screw the wooden pallet to the wall vertically so that you have a built in shelf.
- Attach one hook on the right and left sides of the pallet.
- Attach the other hooks on the desktop.
- Connect the hooks on the pallet and on the desktop so that the board forms a table. Therefore, the floating table is supported by the hooks and the pallet.
- If you think that the table is not well supported, you can support the table with an additional brace. Now you have a floating computer desk with a pallet shelf.
Farmhouse DIY Computer Desk
If your interior has a country style decoration, you can choose this farmhouse computer desk. It requires good woodworking skill. Therefore, it is suitable for you who are more experienced in DIY woodwork.
You need some materials to make this desk. They are 2.5 cm thick plywood, 8 2x4s size 8 feet, 5 1x6s size 6 feet, a 2×2 size 8 feet, screws, and wood glue.
- Plan the dimension of the table and use this measurement to cut the plywood and posts.
- Create the outer legs of the computer desk so that you have two frame-like legs.
- Add the X decoration on the assembled legs. This decoration will make your desk has a farmhouse look.
- Make the middle desk legs.
- Connect the three legs with 2×2 stretchers. Therefore, you have the base for your computer desk.
- Create shelves between one outer desk legs and middle legs.
- Attach the plywood on top of the frame. As a result, you will have a computer desk with shelves.
- To make the desk more attractive, you can paint the desk in white. Meanwhile, for a more rustic look, you can stain the wood.
Standing DIY Computer Desk
Standing computer desk is quite popular. It looks more modern and attractive. If you want to have it, you can try to make this standing computer desk on your own.
This L-shape standing desk is perfect for couples who need to work at home comfortably without invading each other space.
You will need a pine board and large size shelf brackets. You can follow these steps to make this standing desk.
- Measure the size of the standing desk that fits your space.
- Cut the board according to the measurement.
- Sand the wood so that it is smooth. After that, you can stain it or seal it with polyurethane.
- Attach the shelf brackets to the wall; be sure that they are level. In addition, each section of the desk must have at least 2 brackets.
- Fasten the board on the shelf brackets. Therefore, you will have a standing L-shape computer desk.
Piping and Butcher Block DIY Computer Desk
This computer desk is very simple. However, it looks attractive because it is made of piping and butcher block. To create it, you need:
- 5 feet butcher block workbench top
- Cordless drill
- ¾-inches piping
- Wood screws
- ¾-inches tees
- ¾ -inches flanges
- ¾ -inches dowel rod
Once you have all the materials, you can start working on creating this computer desk.
- Cut the piping into:
- 5 inches long with threaded ends: 4
- 48 inches long with threaded ends: 1
- 6 inches long with threaded one end: 4
- 9 inches long with threaded ends: 4
If you cannot cut the piping on your own, you can ask the store staff to cut it for you. Some stores offer you with free cutting service.
- Arrange the piping so that it forms the desk legs.
- Screw the piping legs into the butcher-block top and you have a new computer desk.
- The last thing you need to do is installing the casters. Therefore, you can move the desk and rearrange your home office easily.
Tower DIY Computer Desk
If you are looking for a minimalist computer desk with large storage space, you can have this tower computer desk at home. To make this desk, you need pine boards, plywood, and 2x2s, and screws. In order to create this desk, you must
- Cut the boards, plywood, and 2x2s according to a measurement that fits to your interior.
- Assemble a pair of shelves using plywood and 2x2s cuttings. Each of them must have two selves in it. These shelves will function as legs.
- Space the frames of legs properly so that you can work on your desk comfortably. For best result, space them 60 cm apart.
- Screw the board to the legs of the desk.
- After that, sand the desk and apply your chosen finish.
Double-Sided DIY Computer Desk
Do you have two children? Or are you and your significant other is working from home? If the answer is yes, you need to have this double-sided computer desk.
This desk will help you to focus on what you do even when another person is also using this desk. The bookshelf that separates the section of this computer desk will block the distraction that may come from the other side.
If you want to make this computer desk, you need a bookshelf with 4 shelves, a tabletop, and wood kit for desk legs. In addition, you also need some screws, glue and a small screen. If you already have them, you can start working on this desk.
- Cut the tabletop in half. Therefore, you can use the cuts to make a double desk.
- Install the screen vertically in the middle of shelf
- Measure and cut the wood kit so that the desk legs are level to the height of the second shelf
- Screw the desk legs to the tabletops, two for each tabletop.
- After that, you need to screw the tabletop to the shelf.
- Next, you can apply the finish of the desk and the shelves. In order to add more storage space choices, you can hang some baskets on the side of the shelf.
Murphy DIY Computer Desk
Making your small home office looks more organized can be tricky. However, if you have this Murphy computer desk, you can have a more organized room.
This desk combines a built in shelf and two-leg desk. Therefore, the shelf is used as a support for the desk.
The good thing about this furniture is that it can be folded. Therefore, when you have finished working, you can fold the desk and make your home office looks more spacious.
If you want to make it, you need to have boards, desktop, wood kit for desk legs, fastening, and hinges. These are what you must do to make this piece of furniture.
- Create a shelf with the boards you have. You need to make sure that you leave some space for the table. Therefore, the width of the shelving is narrower than the width of the shelf.
- Cut the tabletop in slightly smaller dimension than the shelf. Therefore, the table can fit to the shelf when it is folded.
- Assemble the table legs in rectangular frame
- Attach the legs to the tabletop with hinges so that it can be folded.
- Mount the shelf to the wall and connect it to tabletop with hinges.
- Install a fastening at the leg frame. It is done so that the folded computer desk stays in place when you fold it.
- Next, you may apply certain finishing so that it is more attractive.
- Your Murphy computer desk is ready to use.
Floating DIY Computer Desk with Chain
If you do not have enough space to create a working nook at home, you can opt for this floating computer desk with chain. This floating desk will not clutter your small interior for several reasons.
One of them is that it is narrow and space saving. In addition, it doesn’t have legs so that this furniture doesn’t add clutter in the room
This computer desk is not only simple. But, it is also unique because it has additional support from the chains. To have this furniture, you need to have hook nails, chain, a pine board, and a brace. This furniture is very easy to make
- Cut the board and brace in similar length.
- Attach two hook nails on the underside of the board. In addition, attach another two hook nails on the wall.
- Attach the brace to the wall and install the board on it
- Connect the hook nails on the board and on the wall using the chain you have prepared.
- You can choose to finish the board to make it more attractive. If you want to add a rustic look, you had better choose clear coat to finish it. But, if you want to make your interior looks more spacious, you need to paint it in similar color to the color in the room.
X-Legged DIY Computer Desk
If you are looking for a simple and easy to make computer desk, you must choose this furniture idea. It is not only good for a computer desk, but it can be used for other purposes.
Therefore, creating this multi-purpose desk will give you some advantages. To make it, you need pipes, pipe joints, a board, and screws.
- Cut the pipes in your desired size so that you have four leg pipes and two base pipes for the base of the tabletop. One of the base pipe must be shorter than the other
- Connect two legs with each of the base end using a pipe joint. Repeat this step for the other pipes.
- Create the X legs by putting one assembled legs inside another.
- Make a hole on each of the legs. After that, screw the legs on the Xs in which the screw was used as hinges.
- Attach the tabletop on the pipes.
Copper DIY Computer Desk with a Fix Bench
For you who want to have a computer desk with a fix bench, this computer desk will be perfect for you. With a fix bench, you don’t need to adjust the distance of the bench to the desk.
You only need to sit down on it and start working. This computer desk is also great for children. However, it may take too much of your space if you have a small home office.
If you want to make this custom computer desk, you need copper pipes, tabletop, pipe joints, screws, and U-shaped pipe clamps.
- Plan the dimension of your desk and bench. After that, cut the copper pipes into several sections for the legs and braces. If you cannot cut the pipes on your own, you can ask the store to cut them based on your measurement.
- Assemble the pipes and connect them with pipe joints.
- Cut the tabletop so that you have the right size of desktop and bench.
- Sand the woods and apply the desired finish.
- Attach the desktop and bench on the pipes with the U-shaped pipe clamps.
Ergonomic DIY Computer Desk
This computer desk idea is unique. It is perfect for you who are very good in woodworking. If you want to have this desk at home, you must have the material for it.
They are 4×8 MDF sheet, fence pipes, kee klamps L61-7 fittings, ¾ inch #10 wood screws, and a keyboard track equipment. After that, you can start working on this ergonomic desk.
- Create the plan for the desktop. Then, cut the MDF sheet based on your design and measurement and cut the pipes.
- Make the edge of the desktop soft and smooth.
- Attach the kee klamps. If you make a U-shape desk, you need six kee klamps for it.
- Insert the fence pipes on the kee klamps. Remember to add braces to support and connect the desk legs.
- Paint the MDF and apply polycyclic finish to protect MDF desktop from moisture.
- Create the MDF keyboard tray and finish it in similar method.
- Attach the keyboard track equipment under the desktop and the keyboard tray.
- Your new computer desk is ready to use.
Adjustable DIY Computer Desk
Many people think that a standing computer desk is better for the health. However, standing for too long in front of the PC can make you tired.
Therefore, it is better for you to have an adjustable computer desk. You can make it with metal pipes, joint pipes, countertop, screws, and kee klamps.
- Plan the desktop and decide on the measurement.
- Cut the pipes based on your measurement.
- Assemble the base and paint the pipes.
- Cut the countertop in your desired size so that you have two countertops.
- Sand the countertops and apply the finish.
- Screw one of the countertop to the base.
- Attach additional legs on the surface of this countertop to level the height of the second desk.
- Screw the second countertop on the higher legs.
Creating a DIY computer desk is a great way to have the right desk for your interior. You don’t need to worry about your DIY skill in creating it. Some of the DIY desk ideas are simple and easy to make. Therefore, a beginner can make it easily.